Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tis the Season

I feel like I lost a few days of Christmas decorating, with Thanksgiving being so late this year. I spent all day Saturday decorating. I love Christmas decorating and do a ton of it around the house, but other than hubby getting the decorations out of storage, and putting up the tree, I do all the decorating by myself. I just don't understand it. My children LOVE the house decorated, and love to hang out around the tree. But since they have gotten older, they just don't seem to care about helping to decorate the tree. I'm amazed at that because when I was a child, even up until I moved out of the house, I loved helping my parents decorate for Christmas. Now my older kids are out of the house, or partially out, or working and going to school...too busy. And my 14 year old? He just doesn't really care about the decorating part. Oh, he likes hanging "his" ornaments on the tree, but thats about it. He loves his advent tree, which he started last night, but other than that....He loves to "watch." :) But...when my oldest son came home on Sunday night, I saw him start smiling as he walked up the walkway, seeing the small trees on the front porch decorated for the holidays, and our wreath on the door. And I watched him smile as he came through the door, his eyes bright and dancing around the room, finally landing on our Christmas tree. A few minutes later he said, "It feels good to be home at Christmas. It feels good in here." Ahhh, the spirit of Christmas has arrived.

6 comments:

Beaufort Belle said...

Oh it sounds beautiful. All of our decorations are down, but in the garage. The tree is put up, the 2 trees on the front porch are up, and the reindeer are in the front yard. The rest is waiting on me. I think I am going to head out for some new Christmas things on Thursday...and I really want it to feel like Christmas, but I am just too exhausted from Thanksgiving. One day, one day.

southerninspiration said...

I am only beginning my decorating...my son did help me with the garland on the stairs but quickly gave it up when another opportunity knocked!!! ;)
I bet yours look fabulous...wanna come over and help me with mine???
Are you going to post some pics so we can see yours???

Suzanne

Mari said...

Hi Rebecca, Thanks for stopping and visiting my blog. I have a 21 year old daughter who is at home yet and helps with the decorating. I'm glad she does because I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about it as I used to be. I really like seeing it when it's done though!

Shell in your Pocket said...

what sweet words to hear after decorating!
-sandy toes

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Yes dear friend, there's no place like home for Christmas :). I love your new header, it says it a lot doesn't it? Yes, they grow older yet love to come home at Christmas don't they? It's the smells, laughter and love which I'm sure your home is filled with all of these :).

My sister had the aprons made for each one of us. She bought the white aprons then came up with the snowman face and took them to an embroiderer, it's very simple would you like me to email the design? I would do that for you.

Big hugs,
Kathi :)

Thoughts and prayers for Judy and your family.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

PS :)

In the peanut butter ball post my daughter is wearing a t-shirt she also had done, you can see it closer in that one. :)