Sunday, March 8, 2009

Flying the Coop

My oldest is 24. He's been in and out of the house for several years. First leaving to attend college, then moving back home. Then he got a great job, moved out again, lost the job last year in the collapse of the real estate and new home construction market, and moved back home again.

Its been tough on him lately, trying to find work in a field that he enjoys. Its just ain't happening out there right now. So, he's settled for waiting tables, working as a cook, and catching a break doing little remodeling jobs here and there. He's really fought depression, restlessness, and sometimes hopelessness.

Then, a few days ago he dropped a bomb on me. He's moving to Key Largo. Yep, waaaay down there in the Florida Keys. He's leaving Tuesday. "What??!!" "Yes mom, this Tuesday." He has an old friend from school that is a scuba instructor there who has pleaded with him to come to Key Largo. His friend is "just so sure" that my boy can find work there. In fact, my boy already has a couple of job leads. So, he's heading that way, giving it a month to find work, and hoping for the best.

Part of me is happy and excited for him. He's excited for himself! The other part of me, that other mommy part, is worried, anxious, and prayerful for his safety. All I can do is pray, and hope. I still feel like he needs me. But he's 24 years old (insert BIG sigh here). Still, Key Largo is a loooong way from home.

"Raise up a child in the way he should go and when he grows old he will not depart from it."

I'm holding on to that right now.

3 comments:

Beaufort Belle said...

All I can say is WOW!! I remember him graduating...it doesn't seem that long ago. I know it is hard to let go, but if he ever is going to take a chance like that, now is the time. He's got a friend, a place to stay, and some opportunities. He is giving himself a timeline. Just imagine if it works out, you get to visit him in the Key Largo!! I just don't think I could have handled the surprise!!!

Cathy said...

What a surprise and awesome opportunity. Lots of blessings sent his way for a very successful venture in FL. Lots of hugs for his mom.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Key Largo! :) How's your son doing? missing you I'm sure :)