Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Life's Little(are you kidding?) Surprises


Sometimes life just moves along, at a steady pace, like rocking in a rocking chair. It feels ok, routine, relaxed, and then WHAM! You're knocked upside the head, or that comfy old rocking chair just collapses! You're shocked, stunned, and thrown completely off kilter.

This happened last week, to me, to my sister, to our family. My younger sister was diagnosed with cancer, after going through a very quickly scheduled 8 hour surgery. She has ovarian cancer, after finding a large tumor that originated from her ovary. She has a long battle ahead of her, with chemo and other medical treatment. Thank the Lord, her doctor feels optimistic and feels that with treatment she has a "very very good chance" at recovery.

I feel like I'll go through this battle with her, knowing that really I won't feel anything close to what she will be experiencing. But I long to share in her suffering, to be there with her, to take some of the burden and pain from her. I suppose the most important thing I can do for her is pray, and pray hard I will.

If someone out there in cyberland stumbles upon this blog, I hope they will say a little prayer for Judy too.

I am reminded that my God is Jehovah Rophe, my God who heals. And, He is Jehovah Shalom, my God of peace.


"For I will restore health to you, and heal you of your wounds," says the LORD.
Jeremiah 30:17

Our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:17-18

1 comment:

Serah said...

We're definitely praying for Judy at our house.

It's so comforting to know we don't have to go through this life alone. God is there every step of the way, ready to pick us up and carry us.