Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Today is....

National Mint Julep Day!

from Google images
Believe it or not, this so southern girl has never had a mint julep.  I know, a sacrilege, right? 

But, for some reason, a few months back, and I do think I'll blame this on pinterest, I've been longing for a set of mint julep cups.  All the pretty pins I've seen on flower arrangements in mint julep cups have me seriously shopping.  I found these about a month ago, and have been playing the "Should I or Shouldn't I?" game....

                from Ross-Simons.com
                                             

I have a feeling that eventually I will...............

Also, coincidently, Damon Lee Fowler, one of my all time biggest Author crushes, posted a very tempting mint julep recipe on his blog a few weeks ago.  

I love Mr. Fowler...love him.  His Savannah Cookbook is one of my favorites.  Plus, his keen interest in historical southern cooking touches my very soul.  Being a lover of southern history, and cooking, his writings on the relationship of both just puts me over the moon.  But I digress....

Mr. Fowler posts his favorite mint julep recipe here, along with some very cool historical background of the South's signature cocktail, dating back to even Biblical times.  Makes me want to try a mint julep today...and well, it being National Mint Julep Day and all..... http://www.damonleefowler.com/blog.htm?post=853665

No comments: