Friday, October 29, 2010

An October Night


The wind whispers
A wary warning
There was plenty, still
Early this morning
These primal urges
Are hard to fight
An unholy diet
A dark appetite
The pavement scrapes
With scuttling leaves
I'll pull the drapes
And hope to deceive
The moon suffocates
In ominous clouds
Shut off the lights
Heartbeats too loud
Then the neighbor's gate creaks
But its not the wind
That seeks to feast
On fearing humans
Red brake lights
A car crawls by slow
The shadowy shapes
Of my dark doorstep know
That the empty window
Of my house lies.
The horrible truth
Lies deep inside
Everything tonight
Could have just been dandy
But now the demons have wrath
Cause I ate all the candy!
Happy Halloween!
poem by Charles Audette

2 comments:

Shelley in SC said...

What a great poem!! I love it. So good to see you blogging again. I've missed being out and about in Blogland.

Michelle said...

Perfect for a blustery fall night!