Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Huh?? Are You Sure??

That was my reaction yesterday... as my doctor told me that I have the chicken pox. Honestly, I had been suspicious for several days, wondering about this strange "stuff" that was slowly covering my body, and the achy flu like symptoms I started to experience. But I guess I just could not fully wrap my mind around the possibility of chicken pox. Not at my age anyway....

I really wanted the chicken "pops" when I was a child, and I was exposed plenty of times. All of my siblings had the chicken pops, almost one after the other. In fact, my two sisters had it together at the same time. I can remember lying in the bed with them, just knowing that my time was coming. Then I too would receive extra pampering from my parents. I too, would get to stay home from school, laid up in the bed, enjoying chicken soup and new books that Mama would bring home from the library. Shortly after, my baby brothers followed suit, and they too received the special "gifts" that came from being sick with the chicken pops. But wait! What about me?? Alas, I never ever broke out with the childhood illness that everybody gets. I totally missed out on all that fun.

Years later, as my own children contracted chicken pox, and went through the agony of the itching, I wondered and worried, "Oh gosh, will I get it now, as an adult, and a busy mom who does not have time to be in bed with the chicken pox??" I pampered my babies as my mom had pampered my siblings. And, I counted my blessings as the chicken pox once again passed me by.

So....why now? I'm too old for this, well, no one really has to know that, but you know what I mean. Anyway, I just don't get it. How did the chicken pops find me after all these years? I thought I was well hidden.

Would someone please draw me a nice cool oatmeal bath? And bring a good book from the library, and maybe a nice cup of tea too?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my....I haven't ever had them either! BTW, I commented on your comment about Where the River Ends...it would be a deeply emotional ride (at any time) but particularly for you now. I don't know that I would have been ready to read it any sooner than I did... (((hugs))) my dear friend.

sheila from life @ #17 said...

so it is the Chicken Pops?! that is weird...I wonder if it is going around the schools?

I had the CP when I was in second grade, I believe...so if I lived next door to you, I could bring you a book, a stack of old magazines, something StarBucky and some canned soup...with a bucket of oatmeal...

Feel better soon :)

preppy little dress AKA "PLD" said...

wow, chicken-pox now? oh my! hope you recover in no time, no fun!

Cathy said...

Oh no, I had them when I was in grade school.

Prayers for a quick recovery.

Hugs,
Cathy

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Oh no, I hear it's worse to have chicken pops when you're an adult. I do hope you're feeling better Rebecca!

Prayers and hugs to you!
Kathi :)